Men's Soccer Falls to In-State Rival Virginia in Double Overtime, 3-2

  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

Draymond Washington recorded a pair of assists in the loss to Virginia.
Draymond Washington recorded a pair of assists in the loss to Virginia.

Sept. 6, 2008

Box Score

FAIRFAX, Va. - Playing in front of its home crowd for the first time this season, the George Mason men's soccer team put forth its best effort for the 2,621 fans in attendance at George Mason Stadium on Friday evening, but in the end it wasn't enough to overcome the Virginia Cavaliers as freshman forward Brian Ownby scored the game-winning goal with a mere 43 seconds remaining in the second overtime to lift Virginia to a 3-2 victory over the Patriots. With the loss, Mason falls to 1-1-1 on the season, while Virginia improves to 1-2-0 with the win.

The Patriots appeared poised to pull off the upset of its in-state rival when they tacked on a pair of goals within a span of four minutes in the first half. After 37 minutes of scoreless play to begin the match, freshman forward Draymond Washington was able to knock the ball loose from a Virginia player and turn it into a score for the home team. After gaining control of the ball, Washington crossed the ball to senior forward Lucas Pardew, who knocked the ball into the right side of the net past Virginia goalkeeper Dan Louisignau at the 37:32 mark of the match.

In the 41st minute, Mason struck again. Freshman midfielder Ryan Gracia scored his first career goal on a breakaway to put the Patriots up by a tally of 2-0. Washington was credited with his second assist of the evening on the goal, while senior Hugh Fike also earned an assist on the score.

With George Mason leading by a pair of goals at the half, Virginia's attack began to pick up the pace after the intermission. The Cavaliers cut into the Patriots' lead when freshman forward Chris Agorsor found the back of the net in the 52nd minute off of a header. Agorsor nearly struck again three minutes later when he took a shot at an open goal after junior Sean Kelley came out from between the pipes to make a save attempt. However, senior Jonathan Borrajo raced over from the right side to kick the ball away and maintain the Patriots one-goal lead.



George Mason held that margin until the 76th minute of play, when sophomore midfielder Jimmy Simpson tied the score with a goal off an assist from junior midfielder Jonathan Villanueva.

Virginia had perhaps the best opportunity to win the match in regulation when sophomore Chase Neinken was awarded a penalty kick in the 82nd minute. Neinken took a low, hard shot to Kelley's left but the Lexington, Ky. native made a spectacular diving stop to keep the score tied at two.

In overtime, what was a light rain throughout the match became a downpour, saturating the field and making each offensive possession precious. After more than 19 minutes of scoreless play in overtime, the contest appeared destined for a tie when Ownby found the back of the net to put an abrupt end to the match and give the Cavaliers the victory.

The Patriots play again next weekend at the SMU Mi Cocina Classic. The two-day tournament will be hosted by Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. George Mason will take on host SMU in an 8 p.m. contest on Friday, Sept. 12.

Men's Soccer Media Guide
Patriot Club