Men's Soccer Opens Season on a Winning Note

  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

Junior Teba McKnight netted the game-winning goal for the Patriots against Longwood.
Junior Teba McKnight netted the game-winning goal for the Patriots against Longwood.

Sept. 3, 2004

Fairfax, Va.--George Mason University's men's soccer team (1-0-0) scored two goals within 23 seconds of one another in the closing minutes to claim a 2-1 victory over Longwood (0-2-0) in the Patriots season opener at George Mason Stadium Friday evening. Longwood scored the first goal of the night as freshman defender Alex Lubinsky shot it high from 25 yards out at the 10:29 mark off a pass from freshman forward Todd Runey. Mason answered at the 87:24 mark as junior defender Anthony Noreiga (San Fernando, Trinidad) netted the Patriots first goal off a scramble from a corner kick by defender Danny Climo (Sr.; Wirral, England). Mason scored its second goal at 87:47 by junior forward Teba McKnight (Couva, Trinidad) as senior Damien Quinn (MF; San Diego, Calif.) dished out the assist. Longwood took it down the other end of the field, but was called offsides and senior midfielder Stuart Bertsch was then given a yellow card. Patriots regained possession and erased any idea of overtime after holding off the Lancers in the remaining seconds. Senior goalkeeper John O'Hara (Foxford, Ireland) played the entire game for the Patriots in the net, giving up only one goal and earning three saves. Freshman Matt VanOekel saw action as goalkeeper all 90 minutes for Longwood and gave up two goals, while earning seven saves. The Patriots controlled the game as they outshot the Lancers, 24-7. Mason tallied 13 shots in the first half to Longwood's two and the Patriots compiled 11 in the second half to the Lancers five. Mason took nine corner kicks on the night, while Longwood only had one each half. The Patriots return to action on Sept. 5 when they face Loyola (Md.) in Baltimore at 1 p.m.



Men's Soccer Media Guide
Patriot Club