Men's Soccer Scores Three Short-Handed Goals to Beat GW

  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

Eber Martinez scored Mason's first goal in a 3-1 win over GW.

Eber Martinez scored Mason's first goal in a 3-1 win over GW.

Sept. 1, 2010

Box Score

Washington D.C. - If there is a perfect way to start a season, this was the antithesis. Less than 15 seconds into the year, surrendering a penalty kick and less than 15 minutes into the match, earning a red card. But none of that mattered to the George Mason men's soccer team. After surviving the rest of the first half trailing, 1-0, the Patriots came out inspired in the second half and the result was a trio of short-handed goals and a season-opening 3-1 victory over George Washington in the D.C. College Cup at American University.

George Washington began the match with possession and they served a long ball into the Mason box where Chase Miller was called for a foul and given a yellow card. Yoni Berhanu took the penalty kick and he put it into the low left corner of the net. A little more than 12 minutes later, faced with a potential GW breakaway, Miller committed another foul and was given yet another yellow card, resulting in ejection from the match.

Despite playing down a man, the Patriots (1-0-0) kept the Colonials (0-1-0) from adding to their lead in the first half. After some halftime adjustments, Mason came out very aggressive in the second half, getting several scoring chances early, but not being able to put the ball into the net. The Colonials nearly made it 2-0 in the 55th minute when Seth Rudolph had a header right in front of the Mason net on a cross but it went high.



Moments later, Mason earned a corner kick and Steven Wagoner got his head on the ball right in front but it was blocked by a GW defender. The corner kick that followed that resulted in a shot for Eric Zueshow, but it went wide. Still the Colonials were unable to clear the ball and a GW foul resulted in a direct kick for Eber Martinez. His shot from 30 yards out deflected off a GW defender and into the right corner of the net for the equalizer.

Despite pulling to 1-1, the Patriots did not stop attacking. In the 63rd minute, a Mason direct kick from Martinez found the head of Derek Markheim but the keeper got his body on it and after a wild scrum for the ball resulted in another blocked Mason shot, the Colonials were able to clear the ball. In the 75th minute, Wesley Sever played a beautiful cross the Alhagi Toure just missed which would have put Mason ahead 2-1. The Patriots made it 3-1 in the 83rd minute when Ernesto Marquez found Taylor Morgan deep on the left side and he went into the lower right corner to ice the game.

The Patriots will conclude play in the D.C. College Cup on Saturday when they play at American at 3 p.m. Earlier that day, George Washington will play Howard.

Men's Soccer Media Guide
Patriot Club